Recording with the GX700

General discussion about the GX-700 and/or Sound Station

Recording with the GX700

Postby oceanflame » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:57 pm

Hi!

I was wondering if you guys have tried recording something directly out of the GX700.
Is it better to mic your guitar amp, or does the GX700 "line output" do the job well done?

I can't try it right now, but I was just asking myself, what do you guys think?
oceanflame
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Recording with the GX700

Postby Grunwaldt » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:07 am

Hi oceanflame, and welcome!

The Speaker Sim. effect is used to emulate different speakers setup which, together with the COSM "Preamp" technology, makes it sound pretty natural when not connected to a real guitar amplifier, I haven't played my guitar in ages, but the GX-700 works well connected directly to a line-in of a soundcard or a mixer. But it's a matter of taste.
Developer and webmaster for the GX-700 Sound Station software.
Grunwaldt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Recording with the GX700

Postby stevemp » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:38 pm

I use the GX-700 through a BBE 382i Sonic Maximizer into a power amp then into my speaker cab. I used to have a Marshall EL34 100/100 power amp and two Marshall 1960B cabs. I would mic these cabs with Shure SM57 mics and run them into my Roland VS-2480 digital recording workstation.

I tested direct recording by enabling the speaker cab simulation. I still had the GX-700 running through the BBE. The recorded sound sounded pretty much exactly like what I was getting with the amp, cabs and mics.

I think the Sonic Maximizer makes all the difference here. I find the amp/speaker simulations unusable without it.

Steve
stevemp
Supporter
Supporter

Return to General