Thanks for the editor!!!

General discussion about the GX-700 and/or Sound Station

Thanks for the editor!!!

Postby stevemp » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:00 pm

I just wanted to say thanks for keeping this alive.

The GX-700 is still one of the best units Boss/Roland has ever produced. I have had it for years and still discover things I didn't know.

In recent years I reduced the size of my setup to make it easier to play live gigs.

At home I used to use a Marshall EL34 100/100 power amp into two Marshall 1960B 4x12 cabs. Not portable.

Now I have a four space rack, pedalboard and a 2x12 cab.

My rack is a power conditioner, the GX-700, a BBE 382i Sonic Maximizer and a Rocktron Velocity 300 1U power amp.

My pedalboard has a Roland FC-200 MIDI foot controller with a couple of extra switches, a wah and a volume pedal. The switches are Roland FS-7 and FS-5. One switch on the FS-7 is used to switch to tuner mode. The other one switches between patch change and "stompbox" mode. This allows me to control individual effects within a patch. The FS-7 is connected to ports on the back of the FC-200. The FS-5 is my "Solo" switch. It is connected to the control connector on the back of the GX-700. I have it setup to turn on the compressor and EQ for solos. The EQ is set flat but the output level is +3dB so I'm using it as a boost.

My cab is a Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 with Celestion G12K-100 speakers in it. I run it in stereo. The Rocktron amp will put out 75 watts per channel into 8 ohms. This is a bit of a bigger cab with ports along the bottom. It's a big sounding 2x12 as well.

Amp Rig_small.jpg
Amp Rig_small.jpg (360.57 KiB) Viewed 12536 times

Pedalboard_small.jpg
Pedalboard_small.jpg (126.86 KiB) Viewed 12536 times

Steve
stevemp
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Thanks for the editor!!!

Postby Miks » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:08 am

stevemp wrote:One switch on the FS-7 is used to switch to tuner mode.

Hi Steve,

do you know that you can use every switch to change sounds AND turn on (and off) the tuner as well? I have two GX-700, and one of them is connected to a Behringer FCB1010 pedal board. I programmed the FCB this way: every first step onto one of the (used/programmed) switches is turning the appropriate sound ON - every further step onto the same switch turns on the tuner, the next step (onto the same switch) turns the tuner OFF again and so on (toggeling). Very comfortable 8-) Let me know if you want to know how I did this - maybe it will work this way with your FC-200 too... ;)

best regards, & keep on rockin'
Miks
Miks
Expert User
Expert User

Re: Thanks for the editor!!!

Postby stevemp » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:02 am

Hey Miks,

Thanks for the information.

I used to use an FCB1010 with the UnO chip but I sold that and got the FC-200. I can't remember what I was trying to do that I couldn't with the FCB1010.

My current setup works well, especially in live settings.

There was another GX-700 for sale cheap locally when I was broke. Once I had money it was gone. There are a few others around further away. Some day I will get another one for backup at least. But it would be nice when I am playing with others to leave one setup at practice and have the other at home. I can use a laptop and MIDI interface to transfer new patches/setting to the one at practice. Dreams for now. ;-)

Steve
stevemp
Supporter
Supporter

Return to General